Sunday, January 13, 2008

Yeesh, what a waste.

Yesterday was my first Braves Fanfest. It'll probably be my last.

I appreciated the free parking at Turner Field. I appreciated the free shuttle bus ride to the venue (they can afford free bus rides because the city of Atlanta saves a fortune by NOT installing any form of suspension on said buses).

There were food vendors, memorabilia dealers, historic displays, and activities for kids. All appreciated. What wasn't appreciated, however, was the decision to make the autograph sessions "treasure hunt" style. Instead of getting into a line for, say, John Smoltz or Brian McCann, you get in one of two gigantic lines and whoever is signing when you reach the end of the line is the signature you get. What does this mean? It means instead of getting Smoltz or McCann's autographs yesterday, I stood in line for three and a half hours for Brian Snitker (he's the Braves third base coach, for those who don't know-- i.e. everybody). No offense to Mr. Snitker, but that's not what I had in mind when I spent fifteen bucks on that damn Bud ball. I heard some folks complain about being in line for over five hours, only to have Chipper Jones get up and leave ten minutes before they reached the end of the line. Those folks were treated to the opportunity to have Charlie Leibrant sign their stuff. Wow.

Not the best decision, Fanfest officials. Not by a long shot.

No comments: